StarCraft Revamp 2018
Following last year’s update concerning multiplayer, Blizzard is releasing another design patch. It will go live soon after the WCS Global Finals at BlizzCon. The main goals of the patch will be balancing the later-game power of each race. However, turtle play will be discouraged also. Blizzard wants to ensure purchasing upgrades ‘present non-trivial decisions’. Moreover, they wish to broaden the unit composition options in many match-ups. For the in-depth patch notes, click here. Blizzard has released detailed notes concerning each change, but for brevity they are not listed here.
- To start things off, random delay between shots for both ATS Laser Batter and ATA Laser Battery have been removed.
- ATA Laser Battery damage reduced from 6 to 5.
- Yamato Cannon damage reduced from 300 to 240.
- Can move while shooting.
“…while we want the Battlecruiser to be stronger against ground targets, we don’t want to make it the best all-around unit, so we’re reducing its anti-air attack by 1, which maintains its current vulnerability to airborne threats.”
- Widow Mine
- Drilling Claws upgrade permanently cloaks the Widow Mine while burrowed. A revamp to its visual effect indicates this.
- Base armor reduced from 1 to 0.
- 250mm Punisher Cannons weapon speed changed from 3 to 2.5.
- Damage of Punisher Cannons changed from 35 to 40.
- Javelin Missile Launchers area-of-effect radius reduced from .6 to .5.
- Base armor reduced from 2 to 1.
“Our goal with the Thor is to push its role away from being strong all-around and into being a giant that slays other giants. In turn, it should be weak when swarmed by smaller units.”
- Ignite Afterburners no longer increased by High-Capacity Fuel Tanks. Instead, the cooldown is reduced from 14 to 9.
- Medivac heal works on units under the effect of the Pheonix Graviton Beam.
- Hyperflight Rotors upgrade cost has been reduced by 50.
- Anti-Armor missile damage reduced from 15 to 0.
- The missile will also reduce Protoss shields as well as armor.
- Engineering Bay
- Neosteel Frame and Structure Armor are now a single upgrade, “Neosteel Armor.” The cost to upgrade will be 150/150 and 100 seconds.
- Zerling and Hydralisk
- Unburrow has had its speed changed from .71 to .36. The random delay has been reduced from .36 to .08.
- Health decreased from 90 to 85.
- Infested Terran cast range increased from 7 to 8.
- A new upgrade has been added: Anabolic Synthesis
- Cost: 150 minerals/150 gas.
- The research time is 79 seconds.
- Ultralisk off-creep speed increased by 10%. The on-creep speed is unaffected.
- A new upgrade has been added: Anabolic Synthesis
“This makes the Ultralisk a much stronger and more responsive option off-creep without support.”
- Nydus Network/Nydus Worm
- Network cost increased from 150/200 to 200/250.
- Worm cost decreased from 100/100 to 50/50.
- While Nydus Worm is emerging, it is no longer invincible. Instead, it has 6 armor.
- The two have been separated into two keys.
- Burrowed and Unburrowed Zerg types will be on the same tab-select. When double clicking units, both types will be selected.
- Mass Recall renamed to Strategic Recall.
- However, Mothership’s Strategic Recall is now Mass Recall.
- Nexus Strategic Recall cooldown reduced by 45 seconds. Its radius has been reduced by 4.
- Energy cost of Hallucination reduced from 100 to 75.
- Guardian Shield radius increased from 4 to 4.5.
“…decreasing the energy cost for Hallucination should help make it a more attractive scouting option.”
- High Templar
- Feedback damage reduced from 1 per point of energy drained to .5 per point of energy drained.
- Robotics Facility
- Cost reduced from 200/100 to 150/100.
- Added Turret Tracking for a revamp to the unit’s difficulty.
“With turret tracking, microing a Colossus in battle should feel more rewarding for players and increase the unit’s skill ceiling.”
- The past year’s revamp has been done away with. The pre-4.0 state of Purification Nova has been restored. It will deploy an energy ball, detonating after 2 seconds and dealing 155 damage. An additional 55 shield damage will affect all ground units in its radius. Moreover, it will no longer detonate on contact with enemy units and sends a threat signal to the opponent on detonation.
- Cost reduced from 300/200 to 250/175.
- Supply reduced by 1.
- Hit points and Shields reduced from 300/150 to 150/125.
- Speed increased from 2.632 to 3.5.
- Acceleration increased from 1.4875 to 2.8.
“We want to keep the Tempest’s identity as a mobile long range weapons platform but give it a number of changes to make it both more interesting to fight against as well as more desirable in maxed-out army situations.”
- Firstly, Graviton Catapult upgrade removed.
- Hit points and shields increased by 250/150 to 300/150.
- Build time decreased by 22 seconds.
- Interceptor build time increased by 5 seconds.
- Interceptor damage decreased from 5×2 to 8×1. They will get +1×1 per Air Attack upgrade instead of +1×2.
- Time Warp has seen a revamp. It also reduces the attack speed of enemy units and structures by 50%, in addition to slowing by 50%.
- Shield Battery
- Shield Battery Restore will now work on units under the effect the Phoenix Graviton Beam.
- Health and Shields reduced by 150.
- Upon completion of Warp Gate research, newly built Gateways will transform into Warp Gates.
- Finally, a new countdown timer added to the start of matches played in Testing Matchmaking Queue.